Thursday, August 12, 2010

Calling Out My Peers

Tonight, I was in attendance at Citizens Bank Park for Roy Oswalt's debut in red pinstripes. He did not dissapoint, with seven strong innings while working out of jams all night. Ryan Madson and Brad Lidge then put together impressive eighth and ninth innings, respectively. The Phillies came out victorious in a well-played 2-0 victory over the Dodgers.

As I am walking down the ramps after the game was over, I hear Eagles chants roaring down the ramp as well. As I shook my head, I heard others yelling back at the lost fans, "You're at a Phillies game!" I even saw a child, no older than eight, yell at them (much respect to that kid).

I became quite annoyed, embarrassed, and ashamed of some of my fellow Philadelphia fans. It is one thing to be singing the Eagles' fight song during the Scott Rolen/Terry Francona era in September. But this isn't 1999 anymore. The Phils didn't lose tonight. Heck, Brad Lidge didn't even allow a runner. Especially at a ballpark in which the Phillies would show Flyers highlights in between innings during the Stanley Cup. They have shown respect to other teams in the city, I would think our fanbase was smart enough to show some respect for our Fightins. But there are some clueless fans who are still going to go and yell such things. But I'm calling them out. Their "fanhood" is lacking. And I'm embarrassed for them. Violation.

WASTE PITCHES
Other random thoughts...

-Everyone is overreacting to the Todd Herremans Twitter fiasco. For those who aren't aware, Herremans, an Eagles offensive lineman, had tweeted about how he was dissapointed that a television series drew him in to enjoy two seasons and then introduced a homosexuality aspect to the next season. After talking with the Eagles, he then tweeted an apology. But I don't think that was necessary. He may disagree with the decision that someone has made to be a homosexual, but that doesn't mean he hates the person. To make a sports analogy, it is like disagreeing with a someone's choice to be a fan of the Cowboys, but that doesn't mean that one hates the person. You shouldn't have to apologize to that person.

-How about the job that Charlie Manuel has done this season? While the Phils seem to be in a competition with the Red Sox to see who can send more guys to the disabled list, Charlie has seen about forty different players enter games in Phillies' uniforms. He and his ballclub only sit two-and-a-half games back of the Atlanta Braves in the division. He may make some calls that get second-guessed occasionally but the guy doesn't get enough credit in my opinion.

-Is it crazy to say Cole Hamels should have fifteen wins?

--Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment